Monday, November 14, 2011

Failing my lofty weekend goals - 4,206

There was a really nice pep talk from an OLL rep. and it led me to start a thread in the forums based on her idea of 'write it, or reveal it!', and I had to reveal in both situations. :(

First I said I would reach 20k by the end of the regional Write-in (saturday), which was about 4k total to do. I did 1k I think, not sure, and called it a day. Who knew I'd be busy eating lunch and meeting people? I think they should call it a meet-up, not a write-in!

While it was fun meeting new people, and feeling like there was actually a community out there, I didn't meet that first goal so I revealed my favorite drinking game to the thread and mentioned an embarrassing moment from it.

Then, yesterday, I told the thread I would sequester myself to my room and reach 25k.  This also did not happen, for lack of desire to write such a horrible scene (The MC visits her old flame who now looks like the walking dead). I actually didn't even reach 20k yet. Bummer. Now I have to reveal some bad writing. I'm sure I've got loads of it. :P

In either case, here is an excerpt from yesterday's writing. Which may very well be changed because I was too much of a wuss to make the guy look and act like a zombie.





“Well… he was my boyfriend… I suppose… but he got sick a couple years ago, when the disease first hit, and the last time I visited… oh,” she frowned at the revelation, “over 7 months ago now, he tried to spread the disease to me and I couldn’t take it. It just wasn’t “him”; if you know what I mean” and she started to trail her eyes down towards her shoes, thinking about how Oliver had almost knowingly infected her. 

Her feelings weren’t of rage this time, not like they were 7 months ago; this time she felt regret, a pang of guilt for not becoming infected with him so she could stay with him. She thought about her life currently, quite lonely and dark, and realized she might have made the wrong choice to come back and see him. He may have moved on by now, probably gathered a new family, and he wouldn’t want to be reminded of how she had rejected him at his most dire moment in life. He wouldn’t want to see her healthy body, if his own had started to deteriorate. The emotions started to flood her face as she thought about how selfish she had been, keeping herself healthy and quarantined from him. 

The older woman seemed to be weighing her own thoughts before she broke into Lucy’s revelry and said “The one’s we loved are nevermore, this disease has left empty shells of those people. The one’s we visit now are only gateways to reconciling our issues with our lost loves.”

No comments:

Post a Comment