This post begins my attempt at a 10 sentence short story based (10x3S) off of an image I find from Deviant Art.
I'm giving myself the following parameters and hopefully this will broaden my thoughts in writing and loosen me up for more NaNo writing (which I need to do) :)
Parameters:
10 sentences
10 minutes
1 image from Deviant Art (photography section)
-search for image based on one word and pick an image from the first page of results.
Today's 10x3S is:
- Based on the word 'Purple'
- Purple by Mr-Current
- Time start, 6:21pm
It was her time, like all those who came before her- it was the ritual covering that would allow her access to the cities.
Like all young adults before her, Sophia calmly stood at attention, waiting for the cold wave of purple exudation to splash down over her naked body.
The ritual was completed in a small oval room with no windows.
Her family and friends were allowed to watch, as was customary.
Sophia insisted on wearing her eye makeup, she remembered an older classmate once mention the lack of cosmetics in the cities.
Her family would be sad to see her go, but it was her choice to investigate the young urban worlds.
At least she hadn't run off in the middle of the night, doomed to be an outcast of both worlds.
At the least she had agreed to the governmental formalities and would become a dual citizen of both territories.
At the end of the process she would be featureless for three years, save for the vibrant eyeshadow she applied over her beige-brown eyes, and the characteristic purple pigment of her skin.
The purple latex covering was not only a safe-guard for the harsh city environments, it was also her permit to work as a therapist on the famed Air Boys of the Universe ZZ dirigible.
This a fascinating little piece, really enjoyed. :') You did a great job of creating a world within 10 sentences, and though obviously I'm left with a lot of questions unanswered, you still managed to explain a rather bizarre picture well. I like the contrast between Sophia's almost bored calm and the strangeness of what she's doing. There are just a few small things: I think you could combine the first two sentences into one; I think you could show her family's presence/feelings about the ritual instead of just telling. And "beige-brown" doesn't make much sense to me - go with either brown or beige.
ReplyDelete